Thread: Approved Translations

Approved Translations

In various discussions here there are suggestions made on people's preferred translation of the Bible. For the record, these are the approved versions from the USCCB:

USCCB Approved Translations of the Sacred Scriptures for Private Use and Study by Catholics

1983 - Present
    The 1983 Code of Canon Law entrusts to the Apostolic See and the episcopal conferences the authority to approve translations of the Sacred Scriptures in the Latin Catholic Church (c. 825, §1). Prior to 1983, Scriptural translations could be approved by the Apostolic See or by a local ordinary within a diocese.

What follows is a complete list of the translations of the Sacred Scriptures that have received the approval of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops since 1983.

In addition to the translations listed below, any translation of the Sacred Scriptures that has received proper ecclesiastical approval ‒ namely, by the Apostolic See or a local ordinary prior to 1983, or by the Apostolic See or an episcopal conference following 1983 ‒ may be used by the Catholic faithful for private prayer and study.

• Books of the New Testament, Alba House
    • Contemporary English Version - New Testament, First Edition, American Bible Society
    • Contemporary English Version - Book of Psalms, American Bible Society
    • Contemporary English Version - Book of Proverbs, American Bible Society
    • The Grail Psalter (Inclusive Language Version), G.I.A. Publications
    • New American Bible, Revised Edition (NABRE)
    • New Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition, National Council of Churches
    • The Psalms, Alba House
    • The Psalms (New International Version) - St. Joseph Catholic Edition, Catholic Book Publishing Company
    • The Psalms - St. Joseph New Catholic Version, Catholic Book Publishing Company
    • Revised Psalms of the New American Bible (1991)
    • So You May Believe, A Translation of the Four Gospels, Alba House
    • Good News Translation (Today's English Version, Second Edition), American Bible Society
    • Translation for Early Youth, A Translation of the New Testament for Children, Contemporary English Version, American Bible Society
    God's peace!
    Carol

The wisdom from above is first of all pure,
    then peaceable, gentle, compliant, full of mercy and good fruits,
    without inconstancy or insincerity.
    And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for those who cultivate peace.

James 3:17-18

“On that day the deaf shall hear the words of a scroll; and out of gloom and darkness, the eyes of the blind shall see…And those who err in spirit will come to understanding, and those who grumble will accept instruction.” ~ Isaiah 29:18, 24

Thx for the list.

I have an NAB and RSV. I really like the Douay-Rheims. I enjoy the poetic feel of the translation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sottovoce View Post
    Thx for the list.

I have an NAB and RSV. I really like the Douay-Rheims. I enjoy the poetic feel of the translation.
    I do, too. I have a goodly number of translations and commentaries (and yes, some are not on the list) for use in preparing my classes, and I never fail to read the DR to get that "flow". I also like the Confraternity version, which is closer to the DR. For class, we use the RSVCE, which is usually better than the NAB.

I had been trying to make the "jump" from Arabic to Aramean to read that in the language, but there's more Hebrew than Arabic (and mine is so limited to begin with) to it, so I have to rely on interlinears -- which, of course, have no "flow". But recently I've had neither the time nor inclination to learn new languages.
    God's peace!
    Carol

The wisdom from above is first of all pure,
    then peaceable, gentle, compliant, full of mercy and good fruits,
    without inconstancy or insincerity.
    And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for those who cultivate peace.

James 3:17-18

“On that day the deaf shall hear the words of a scroll; and out of gloom and darkness, the eyes of the blind shall see…And those who err in spirit will come to understanding, and those who grumble will accept instruction.” ~ Isaiah 29:18, 24