Thread: Nomadland

Nomadland

Has anyone seen Nomadland yet? I took my mother but unfortunately the cinematography left her feeling motion sick when we came out. But from the perspective of a non American, it was a tribute to the land that most tourists never see. The scenery was breathtaking. The people were lovely, humble and honest. Most of the supporting cast were real nomads. It was long but I really loved it.

For those like me that have never heard of it, here is wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomadland_(film)

Doesn't sound like something that could hold my interest, but glad you enjoyed it.
    I let my faith influence my political views and not the other way around.

And if you be unwilling to serve the LORD, choose this day whom you will serve, ...; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
    Joshua 24:15

Quote Originally Posted by CCF_Glenn View Post
    For those like me that have never heard of it, here is wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomadland_(film)

Doesn't sound like something that could hold my interest, but glad you enjoyed it.
    Ha ha, Glenn, it's not going to be for everybody that's for sure. It might appeal more to us 'older' ladies I think. But it did win the Oscar for best film last week which was what prompted me to go see it.

Quote Originally Posted by StellaMaris View Post
    Ha ha, Glenn, it's not going to be for everybody that's for sure. It might appeal more to us 'older' ladies I think. But it did win the Oscar for best film last week which was what prompted me to go see it.
    To be honest, most movies do not interest me. I admit an affinity to horror flicks (including zombie shows - grew up on George Romero at the drive inn), but most of what Hollywood produces is mundane. I did notice it won the awards after reading the Wikipedia. Shows you how much I care about the Oscars also.
    I let my faith influence my political views and not the other way around.

And if you be unwilling to serve the LORD, choose this day whom you will serve, ...; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
    Joshua 24:15

I took my mother but unfortunately the cinematography left her feeling motion sick when we came out. .
    That would be me too. I was considering watching it, but now that you tell me about the motion sickness problem, I think I will pass. I remember watching a Woody Allen movie that was all filmed on a hand held camera without stabilization. I was sick by the end it. Is that what Nomadland did?

Quote Originally Posted by LeafByNiggle View Post
    That would be me too. I was considering watching it, but now that you tell me about the motion sickness problem, I think I will pass. I remember watching a Woody Allen movie that was all filmed on a hand held camera without stabilization. I was sick by the end it. Is that what Nomadland did?
    There was a lot of that effect such as filming scenery out the side of a moving van. The effect I suppose was meant to convey a documentary feel. Mum said to me "I should have looked away at those bits" but she was enjoying the movie. Maybe wait until you can watch it at home? It wasn't near as bad as Master and Commander that was filmed on the high seas some years ago. Reports were that loads of people had to rush out of cinema's because of the cinematography!

There was a lot of that effect such as filming scenery out the side of a moving van. The effect I suppose was meant to convey a documentary feel. Mum said to me "I should have looked away at those bits" but she was enjoying the movie. Maybe wait until you can watch it at home? It wasn't near as bad as Master and Commander that was filmed on the high seas some years ago. Reports were that loads of people had to rush out of cinema's because of the cinematography!
    I'd probably have the same problem -- I've had to leave theaters because of the motion sickness before. But I watched Master and Commander at home and had no problem, so maybe you're right -- when it's released in video, it might be worth watching. (I'd guess, however, that it's not my husband's cup of tea, so I'd opt for a night he's working late. )
    God's peace!
    Carol

The wisdom from above is first of all pure,
    then peaceable, gentle, compliant, full of mercy and good fruits,
    without inconstancy or insincerity.
    And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for those who cultivate peace.

James 3:17-18

“On that day the deaf shall hear the words of a scroll; and out of gloom and darkness, the eyes of the blind shall see…And those who err in spirit will come to understanding, and those who grumble will accept instruction.” ~ Isaiah 29:18, 24

Quote Originally Posted by CCF_Carol View Post
    I'd probably have the same problem -- I've had to leave theaters because of the motion sickness before. But I watched Master and Commander at home and had no problem, so maybe you're right -- when it's released in video, it might be worth watching. (I'd guess, however, that it's not my husband's cup of tea, so I'd opt for a night he's working late. )
    There were a few older men accompanying their wives in our session. I'd love to have asked them what they thought of it. But I'm 100% sure it wouldn't be for my husband at all.

There were a few older men accompanying their wives in our session. I'd love to have asked them what they thought of it. But I'm 100% sure it wouldn't be for my husband at all.
    If yours is like mine, he's into action, not reflection.

But seriously, I am hoping it gets released in video.
    God's peace!
    Carol

The wisdom from above is first of all pure,
    then peaceable, gentle, compliant, full of mercy and good fruits,
    without inconstancy or insincerity.
    And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for those who cultivate peace.

James 3:17-18

“On that day the deaf shall hear the words of a scroll; and out of gloom and darkness, the eyes of the blind shall see…And those who err in spirit will come to understanding, and those who grumble will accept instruction.” ~ Isaiah 29:18, 24